Fire safety tips

Local - 1/3/2014 4:08 PM by Stuart Hammer

BECKLEY - With arctic air comes increased risk for fire. Officials urge you to take precautions and not become another statistic.

The Beckley Fire Dept. suggests keeping a three-foot safety zone around any alternate heat source, including space heaters and open flames. And be aware of clothing and blankets that are flammable.

Officials say that you should turn off any heating elements when you leave a room, and while you are asleep.

Fire prevention officer Lt. Ernest Parsons tells Newswatch that one thing can make all the difference.

“Above all make sure you have working smoke detectors in your home. Test the batteries monthly. Replace any smoke detectors that are ten years old.”

And with the possibility of power outages occurring this winter, officials urge you to be aware of carbon monoxide; a lethal odorless gas that is produced from generators.


Community


Member Submitted