Concord released statement after three players were arrested

Local - 11/19/2013 9:27 AM by Nadine Grimley
ATHENS - Concord University released a statement after three football players were arrested on charges that stemmed from a home invasion last week.

The release said, "Both the University and Athletic Department were disappointed to learn of the situation.  Concord University and its Athletic Department fully expects our athletes to be role models and leaders in the community and in no way condone the type of behavior for which these athletes have been charged and will take the appropriate action."

School officials also said that the players in question were suspended from the team pending the ongoing investigation and that the Athletic Department is cooperating with the authorities.

According to the Mercer County Sheriff's Department, Russell Bailey, Jr., of Beckley, Maricco Sanders and Riyahd Richardson, both from South Carolina, were apprehended Friday and charged with malicious wounding, petit larceny, and conspiracy.  Deputies say the home invasion robbery happened the night of November 11 in Athens.

Community


Member Submitted