9/24/2013 8:48 AM
BECKLEY - An early morning fire destroyed the contents of a home's attic space in Beckley.
Dispatchers said it happened on the 400 block of Woodlawn Avenue at around 3:20 a.m.
About 15 members of the Beckley Fire Department responded to the fire. The homeowner believes his fish tank light was too close to a wooden cover, thus igniting a spark, officials said.
People were living inside at the time, but no injuries were reported.
Officials said there is smoke and water damage. Lt. Ernie Parsons talked to Newswatch about preparing for the worst.
"We leave candles burning, our space heaters are left too close to combustible items," he said. "Accidents happen, and it's very important that you have working smoke detectors in your home. Change the batteries at least once a year. Test them monthly and also practice a home escape plan."